If you are searching for adjectives that start with D, you are in the right place. We have an extensive list of adjectives starting with D for you that you can use to improve your conversations.
Let’s say you had to give a presentation once and while your ideas were great and original, you had trouble describing them in detail, well that was because your delivery lacked the use of adjectives.
As you know that adjectives are also called descriptive words since they give description of the world around us and add colors to it. Having the greatest number of adjectives at your disposal is nothing short of having a gold mine that you can use to your benefit.
Here we have a detailed list of descriptive words that start with D for you that you can go through and expand your knowledge with. You are in for a treat because adjectives make everything more interesting. So dive into these adjectives that start with D and up your English-speaking game!
Most Common Adjectives That Start with D
Let’s begin with the most common adjectives that start with D. These are the basic adjectives starting with D that you can use in your day-to-day conversations.
- Definition: having a great intensity
- Synonyms: broad, abyssal
- Example: She told me that I was in deep trouble.
- Definition: lacking similarity
- Synonyms: distinct, contrasting
- Example: We have very different personalities.
- Definition: moving in one direction without a break
- Synonyms: straight, blunt
- Example: I went to Turkey on a direct flight.
- Definition: full of charm and confidence
- Synonyms: dazzling, jaunty
- Example: She preferred a successful man over a dashing one.
- Definition: lacking honesty
- Synonyms: corrupt, crooked
- Example: Her husband was a dishonest man.
- Definition: occurring on a daily or weekly basis
- Synonyms: everyday, regularly
- Example: The series got aired as daily episodes.
- Definition: with very little or no brightness
- Synonyms: cloudy, somber
- Example: The mysterious guy vanished into a dark room.
- Definition: pertaining to household chores or management
- Synonyms: home-like, private
- Example: He wanted a wife that was excellent at domestic chores.
- Definition: having excellent taste
- Synonyms: appetizing, savory
- Example: My mother’s chocolate cake is delicious.
- Definition: adhering to a generally accepted behavior
- Synonyms: modest, fair
- Example: He is a decent man with a good reputation.
Adjectives That Start with D – Beginner Level
In this category, we have a bunch of adjectives that begin with D that can assist you at the beginner’s level. Take a look and experiment with them.
- Definition: free from moisture
- Synonyms: parched, withered
- Example: The weather was cold and dry.
- Definition: an exact copy of something
- Synonyms: indistinguishable, duplicate
- Example: Thankfully I kept duplicate documents as a proof.
- Definition: having a distinguishable characteristic
- Synonyms: characteristic, discrete
- Example: Yams have a distinctive texture.
- Definition: related to computer technology
- Synonyms: computerized, programmed
- Example: Check out my new digital watch.
- Definition: medically related to teeth
- Synonyms: oral
- Example: I met a dental surgeon yesterday.
- Definition: possessing a delightful mystical or surreal quality
- Synonyms: dreamlike, dim
- Example: We had a dreamy dinner under a sky full of stars.
- Definition: attractive and beautiful
- Synonyms: glittering, flash
- Example: I fell in love with my dazzling ball gown.
- Definition: having a spinning effect that leads to loss of balance
- Synonyms: dazed, muddled
- Example: Her alluring beauty put me under a dizzy spell.
- Definition: far away
- Synonyms: remote, secluded
- Example: He is my distant relative.
- Definition: having impaired hearing
- Synonyms: deafened, earless
- Example: We have a job for deaf people.
Adjectives That Start with D – Medium Level
Now that you have mastered the adjectives that start with the letter D at beginner’s level, naturally a way towards the medium level has been paved for you. Follow us on this path as we explore a list of adjectives that start with D as a medium level learner.
- Definition: preventing concentration or diverting attention
- Synonyms: diverting, disturbing
- Example: Her distracting blue eyes made it hard for me to concentrate.
- Definition: influencing and powerful
- Synonyms: ruling, governing
- Example: It is amazing to see that shy kid as a dominant young boss.
- Definition: possessing an equal
- Synonyms: dual, binary
- Example: I have secured the box with double locks.
- Definition: well behaved according to the accepted norms
- Synonyms: organized, careful
- Example: He is an obedient and disciplined child.
- Definition: going through pain
- Synonyms: anxious, jittery
- Example: Her harsh words have a distressed effect on my motivation.
- Definition: from a heavenly body, god or god-like
- Synonyms: heavenly, celestial
- Example: I felt a divine power healing my pain.
- Definition: settling a problem or an issue
- Synonyms: determining, final
- Example: Her last kick proved to be a decisive blow to the opponent.
- Definition: improved to a specified degree
- Synonyms: advanced, evolved
- Example: I need a fully developed website for my business.
- Definition: bringing disgrace or shame
- Synonyms: insulted, corrupt
- Example: Your never-ending dishonorable acts make me sick to my stomach.
- Definition: move from a usual position
- Synonyms: disconnected, removed
- Example: The destroyed city was a living hell for its displaced residents.
Adjectives That Start with D – Hard Level
So that you have aced the medium level of describing words beginning with D, challenge your abilities a little more by digging into adjectives that start with D on a hard level. Time to level up!
- Definition: having a lot of information
- Synonyms: specific, precise
- Example: I want a detailed description of the suspect.
- Definition: having a comical effect
- Synonyms: comic, theoretical
- Example: She is known for her dramatic expressions.
- Definition: carefully planned or decided
- Synonyms: calculated, thoughtful
- Example: I made a deliberate decision to not meet him.
- Definition: closely knit or constructed in a way that makes it hard to see through
- Synonyms: see-through, opaque
- Example: It is hard to drive in such dense fog.
- Definition: possessing two parts
- Synonyms: binary, coupled
- Example: I have a dual sim phone.
- Definition: being careful in speech and actions
- Synonyms: attentive, careful
- Example: I made a discreet investigation into his background.
- Definition: left behind or abandoned
- Synonyms: barren, isolated
- Example: We were left stranded on a deserted island.
- Definition: drawing a prejudicial difference between things
- Synonyms: biased, unfair
- Example: I am fed up with her discriminatory remarks.
- Definition: intimidating or hard to handle
- Synonyms: alarming, ghastly
- Example: I got confused due to the daunting situation.
- Definition: having destroying qualities
- Synonyms: adverse, dire
- Example: The heavy rainfall had a disastrous effect on the village.
Adjectives That Start with D – Expert Level
Congratulations on mastering the D adjectives at a hard level, but there is always room for improvement so we have something more in store for you. You are now at an expert level of this adjective learning journey. Let’s devour on the feast of descriptive words beginning with D, tougher but more fun!
- Definition: shielding against an attack, or making a counter-attack for protection
- Synonyms: defending, guarding
- Example: I keep a lot of defensive weapons.
- Definition: lasting for a long time
- Synonyms: resistant, strong
- Example: These shoes are very durable and comfortable.
- Definition: meant to be
- Synonyms: meant, predetermined
- Example: This is a destined encounter.
- Definition: going in separate directions
- Synonyms: deviating, forking
- Example: We went on diverging paths.
- Definition: shifting from topic to topic
- Synonyms: meandering, rambling
- Example: You could not score well due to your discursive prose.
- Definition: different in kind
- Synonyms: contrasting, separate
- Example: We hail from disparate backgrounds.
- Definition: not revealing the whole truth, holding back on the entire truth
- Synonyms: dishonest, false
- Example: She fueled my suspicion due to her disingenuous answers.
- Definition: typically used for a shy or a modest woman
- Synonyms: modest, meek
- Example: Jane is a demure young lady.
- Definition: ready to submit
- Synonyms: easy-going, gentle
- Example: He was into docile and shy women.
- Definition: bad in quality
- Synonyms: regrettable, dreadful
- Example: Her car was in a deplorable condition.
Positive Adjectives That Start with D
Often people struggle with finding the appropriate adjectives to compliment someone or to positively describe them. Here in this section, we have some positive adjectives that start with D to solve this problem from you.
- Definition: having positive energy and zeal
- Synonyms: energetic, enthusiastic
- Example: We need a dynamic and detailed system for this business.
- Definition: worthy of something
- Synonyms: commendable, worthy
- Example: She received deserving compliments that night.
- Definition: having clarity
- Synonyms: exact, precise
- Example: The time for our meeting is not definite, it might change.
- Definition: having a beautifying purpose
- Synonyms: ornamental, embellishing
- Example: I want a decorative frame for this picture.
- Definition: very fine and intricate in texture
- Synonyms: intricate, tender
- Example: The dress had delicate pearls all over it.
- Definition: having a pleasurable effect
- Synonyms: lovely, captivating
- Example: She sang a delightful song to cheer me up.
- Definition: adhering to the rules of democracy
- Synonyms: elected, constitutional
- Example: The only solution to this political turmoil is a democratic election.
- Definition: having many types
- Synonyms: manifold, assorted
- Example: Pakistan is a culturally diverse country.
- Definition: having an appetizing taste
- Synonyms: delicious, scrumptious
- Example: These cupcakes have a delectable smell.
- Definition: possessing a skill
- Synonyms: sharp, polished
- Example: Samantha is a dexterous girl.
Negative Adjectives That Start with D
Our life keeps on fluctuating between positive situations and negative situations, it is never static. We need a vocabulary to express our negative emotions or describe the negative situations in our life. For that purpose, we have some negative adjectives that start with D that you can make use of.
- Definition: having the risk to cause harm
- Synonyms: alarming, threatening
- Example: Lion is a dangerous animal.
- Definition: demanding an effort to understand
- Synonyms: hard, arduous
- Example: It was a difficult task but you aced it.
- Definition: unclear or layered with something unclean
- Synonyms: untidy, grubby
- Example: I cannot sit on this dirty carpet.
- Definition: not showing courtesy
- Synonyms: impolite, rude
- Example: I am deeply disappointed by your disrespectful behavior.
- Definition: disagreeable or a cause of irritation
- Synonyms: disagreeable, disappointing
- Example: The remarks on her test were extremely displeasing.
- Definition: having destructing effect
- Synonyms: harmful, ruinous
- Example: Bleach will have a damaging effect on your hair.
- Definition: something that is unacceptable
- Synonyms: displeasing, flat
- Example: Her fashion sense has always been distasteful.
- Definition: possessing duality
- Synonyms: deceitful, unoriginal
- Example: He is a duplicitous politician.
- Definition: not being able to function properly
- Synonyms: defected, decayed
- Example: The bus is dysfunctional today.
- Definition: causing harm
- Synonyms: harmful, injurious
- Example: The recent educational policies have been detrimental to the student body.
Adjectives That Start with D to Describe a Person
We often find ourselves stuck in situations where we want to describe someone but struggle with knowing D adjectives to describe a person. We have the fix for you with our selection of adjectives that start with D to describe someone. Let’s have some fun with them next time when you encounter such a situation, and win hearts with your descriptive power.
- Definition: not alive
- Synonyms: deceased, expired
- Example: A dead body is lying there.
- Definition: regarded with deep affection
- Synonyms: darling, precious
- Example: She is my dear friend
- Definition: (of a person) having a great need or desire for something
- Synonyms: in urgent need of, lacking
- Example: I am desperate for water.
- Definition: deserving respect and honor
- Synonyms: stately, courtly
- Example: Prince Charles is a tall, dignified man.
- Definition: in need of support
- Synonyms: contingent, reliant
- Example: He has three dependent children.
- Definition: living in illusions and false perceptions
- Synonyms: paranoid, confused
- Example: Delusional thinking is a symptom of schizophrenia.
- Definition: displeased
- Synonyms: sad, gloomy
- Example: You always have a disappointed look on your face.
- Definition: expressing sadness
- Synonyms: sorrowful, melancholic
- Example: Jane looked disappointed and had a doleful expression on her face.
- Definition: using deceitful ways to achieve something
- Synonyms: sneaky, crooked
- Example: He is devious man, nobody trusts him.
- Definition: showing commitment and sincerity for religion
- Synonyms: pious, devoted
- Example: Chris is a devout Christian.
Adjectives That Start with D – Full List (670+ Words)
Here is a complete list of adjectives that start with D including all that we have discussed above. Go through them once, it will help you revise them all in one go.
Final Thoughts on Adjectives That Start with D
Kudos to you for going through all of these adjectives that start with D.
Now you will not have any trouble describing your feelings or the sights you experience, whether you want to talk about something positive or something that troubles you or you are trying to describe a person.
These adjectives that start with D will come in handy for you. These descriptive words that start with D, are full fledge vocabulary treasure for you that you can avail at any time.
For your convenience they have been systematically categorized, so whenever you want to revise these adjectives starting with D, you can categorically scroll through them or directly refer to the category of your choice. Hope you’ll have fun with them!