If you are here that means you have been looking for adjectives that start with A. Well, you are in luck because we have plenty of them in store for you. Now you might have encountered a lady at some party and you wanted to talk to her and tell her how beautiful she is looking in that dress.
But the problem you might have faced is that you didn’t have the right type of descriptive words that start with A. We are going to provide you with that along with examples, so that you know how to correctly use them in such situations.
You may go to that lady and tell her that she is looking amazing/adorable/attractive in that dress. You may use any of these adjectives beginning with A and they will produce a resounding effect on that girl and make her like you.
I described only one situation to you. But you may come across many different situations every single day where you find yourself short on adjectives. This is where these adjectives that start with A will come in handy for you.
Most Common Adjectives That Start with A
Let us first get you acquainted with some of the most common adjectives that start with A. These adjectives starting with A can be used on a daily basis in general conversations.
- Definition: fully grown into a grownup person
- Synonyms: mature, of age
- Example: Simran is an adult person now.
- Definition: calling something real or true
- Synonyms: true, real
- Example: I need the actual figures to calculate my result.
- Definition: something working on its own
- Synonyms: automated, preprogrammed
- Example: Mike drives an automatic car.
- Definition: of something that can be heard
- Synonyms: auditory, audible
- Example: Do you have any audio songs in your phone?
- Definition: of adding total numbers divided by the total entries
- Synonyms: mean, median
- Example: The average marks for this test are 7 out of 10.
- Definition: similar to each other
- Synonyms: similar, indistinguishable
- Example: The kids all look very alike.
- Definition: being true or genuine
- Synonyms: true, genuine
- Example: I have got authentic news about the incident.
- Definition: happening once every year
- Synonyms: yearly, year by year
- Example: I need an annual report of his earnings.
- Definition: of existing in totality
- Synonyms: complete, total
- Example: He has got absolute faith in me.
- Definition: of belonging to the past
- Synonyms: past, bygone
- Example: This museum contains several ancient artefacts.
Adjectives That Start with A – Beginner Level
If you are in this category it means that you are a beginner and have been on the lookout for beginner level adjectives that begin with A. Wish granted. Go through the list below and get yourself familiarized with the adjectives we have picked specifically for you.
- Definition: having fruitful implications for you
- Synonyms: fruitful, powerful
- Example: His deep study will prove advantageous to him while compiling the results.
- Definition: extremely beautiful and charming
- Synonyms: beautiful, amazing
- Example: You have got such an adorable kid.
- Definition: of taking someone else’s child and raising him as your own
- Synonyms: fatherless, motherless
- Example: Their adopted son flew home yesterday.
- Definition: knowing about the existence or happening of something
- Synonyms: conscious of, well-informed
- Example: I am quite aware of his predicament.
- Definition: of someone belonging to America
- Synonyms: patriot, of America
- Example: He is an American basketball player.
- Definition: of something or someone belonging to Australia
- Synonyms: of Australia
- Example: The guy living in my apartment is Australia
- Definition: being surprised or shocked
- Synonyms: shocked, startled
- Example: I was astonished to see him misbehave to that old lady.
- Definition: having allergy of some kind
- Synonyms: sensitive, susceptible
- Example: I am allergic to mushrooms.
- Definition: being enough in quantity
- Synonyms: sufficient, ample
- Example: They have got adequate supply of water.
- Definition: of something or someone belonging to Australia
- Synonyms: of Austria
- Example: The Austrian motorcyclist won the rally.
Adjectives That Start with A – Medium Level
These adjective words that start with A are not too hard either. But if you want to proceed to this level, first go through the beginner level adjectives that start with the letter A given above.
- Definition: good enough for a particular cause or purpose
- Synonyms: admissible, allowable
- Example: Your bossy attitude is not acceptable at all.
- Definition: relating to educational purposes
- Synonyms: educational, instructional
- Example: Michael is known for his academic expertise.
- Definition: quick to notice anything unusual
- Synonyms: watchful, attentive
- Example: A young dog should be alert all the time.
- Definition: being well developed
- Synonyms: modern, up to date
- Example: His bike has got an advanced level engine.
- Definition: being in awe of someone or something
- Synonyms: astonished, surprised
- Example: I am amazed at her securing such good marks.
- Definition: being angry with someone for some reason
- Synonyms: irritated, vexed
- Example: She was quite annoyed with her performance.
- Definition: occurring in the air, looking at something from above
- Synonyms: airy, lofty
- Example: I have got an aerial view of the parade.
- Definition: having fun or displaying amusement
- Synonyms: delighted, pleased
- Example: I was really amused by her benign attitude.
- Definition: aiming for a particular goal or purpose
- Synonyms: longing, striving
- Example: He is an aspiring young lawyer.
- Definition: full of admiration
- Synonyms: commendable, appreciative
- Example: We were welcome by an admiring crowd.
Adjectives That Start with A – Hard Level
Let us get things a little spicy now with some hard adjectives. You must go through these describing words beginning with A for a couple of times if you want to memorize them.
- Definition: relating to emotions or mood
- Synonyms: emotional, emotive
- Example: John has no affective ties with his family.
- Definition: possessing weapons to combat someone or defend yourself
- Synonyms: equipped, loaded
- Example: An armed gunman entered the building but was apprehended.
- Definition: relating to agriculture
- Synonyms: agrarian, rustic
- Example: He got plenty of agricultural land.
- Definition: bring frustrated or angry
- Synonyms: frustrated, bemused
- Example: Why do you seem so agitated?
- Definition: having enough of something
- Synonyms: enough, sufficient
- Example: We have got ample time to complete the assignment.
- Definition: being totally focused while doing something
- Synonyms: eager, keen
- Example: He is an avid reader.
- Definition: done by someone whose name has not been made public
- Synonyms: nameless, unidentified
- Example: He got an anonymous call therefore he couldn’t trace and number.
- Definition: being in enough amount or quantity
- Synonyms: plentiful, ample
- Example: There is an abundant amount of wheat in our country.
- Definition: having possession of a plot or property
- Synonyms: allocated, assigned
- Example: He moved to his allotted place after arguing with the police.
- Definition: being full of art, dealing with art
- Synonyms: creative, imaginative
- Example: Michel Foucault was an artistic person.
Adjectives That Start with A – Expert Level
If you are at this level of descriptive words beginning with A, it means that you are a pro who knows all about the adjectives but wants to increase his vocabulary. If so, here are some A adjectives for you.
- Definition: relating to the running of a business, etc.
- Synonyms: managerial, directorial
- Example: This building is used for administrative purposes.
- Definition: showing contradictory attitudes
- Synonyms: uncertain, indecisive
- Example: Ahmed has been feeling very ambivalent about his future.
- Definition: officially approved
- Synonyms: certified, endorsed
- Example: Only accredited journalists were allowed to enter the scene.
- Definition: of something burning at a full flow
- Synonyms: alight, on fire
- Example: They set the logs ablaze.
- Definition: of someone unwilling to change his/her opinion
- Synonyms: unshakeable, immovable
- Example: He was very adamant about going to the party.
- Definition: full of allusions, not being able to comprehend someone’s message
- Synonyms: hidden, suggestive
- Example: Don’t talk to me in an allusive manner.
- Definition: full of air
- Synonyms: breezy, atmospheric
- Example: His new cabin is very light and airy.
- Definition: being at a specific angle
- Synonyms: bent, pointed
- Example: Why is that wood piece placed in an angular fashion?
- Definition: being accused of something
- Synonyms: apparent, unproven
- Example: The alleged thief fled the scene.
- Definition: being in a state where you don’t care for someone
- Synonyms: uninterested, indifferent
- Example: Young generation is so apathetic about politics.
Positive Adjectives That Start with A
Well, we are always in need of the right type of words to praise someone or show them that how much we care about them. Here are some positive adjectives that start with A that will help you spread positivity around.
- Definition: without any mistakes
- Synonyms: precise, exact
- Example: He gave an accurate portrayal of all events.
- Definition: being involved in something with full energy
- Synonyms: energized, functioning
- Example: Teresa is a really active person.
- Definition: of something that can be readily used
- Synonyms: convenient, accessible
- Example: I will be available and be at your service 24/7.
- Definition: suitable for a particular situation
- Synonyms: proper, apt
- Example: His behavior to his kids was very appropriate.
- Definition: to someone’s liking
- Synonyms: enjoyable, pleasing
- Example: Mike and Sandra spent a most agreeable evening by the river.
- Definition: being in reach
- Synonyms: attainable, approachable
- Example: The resort is easily accessible by road.
- Definition: of something that can be easily bought
- Synonyms: cheap, reasonable
- Example: Finally he found an affordable car that he could buy.
- Definition: being able to attract all the attention
- Synonyms: brilliant, celebrated
- Example: Louis is a really acclaimed writer.
- Definition: easy to talk to
- Synonyms: warm, cordial
- Example: Joseph struck me as an affable sort of a man.
- Definition: being honest
- Synonyms: fair, open
- Example: The interview committee was fair and aboveboard in its hiring.
Negative Adjectives That Start with A
As they say, life is not a bed of roses. We are not always happy with ourselves or with others and we feel the need to express our feelings. Here are some negative adjectives that start with A that will help you describe yourself in a much better way.
- Definition: having fear of a particular situation
- Synonyms: scared, terrified
- Example: I am afraid of his violent behavior.
- Definition: being angry with someone and behaving inappropriately
- Synonyms: hostile, violent
- Example: He is really aggressive towards his fellow students.
- Definition: being unpleasant or not in good taste
- Synonyms: bad, terrible
- Example: He has got an awful temper.
- Definition: causing worry or fear
- Synonyms: distressing, disturbing
- Example: Covid-19 cases are increasing at an alarming rate.
- Definition: having no moral quality
- Synonyms: immoral, unprincipled
- Example: He was shown as an amoral person in the movie.
- Definition: not logical or sensible
- Synonyms: narcissistic, ridiculous
- Example: He has been saying absurd things for the last hour.
- Definition: being hopelessly bad
- Synonyms: awful, terrible
- Example: The standard of his work is really abysmal.
- Definition: angry or bitter
- Synonyms: harsh, bitter,
- Example: Hector had an acrimonious quarrel with his brother.
- Definition: behaving as someone’s enemy
- Synonyms: hostile, opposed
- Example: I am fed up of his antagonistic attitude.
- Definition: causing strong dislike
- Synonyms: detestable, hateful
- Example: We believe most people would find this stuff really abhorrent.
Adjectives That Start with A to Describe a Person
This is one of the most sought after category of adjectives that start with A to describe someone. If you want to describe someone’s good or bad aspects you may use these A adjectives to describe a person.
- Definition: having the required power or skillset to do something
- Synonyms: clever, brilliant
- Example: He is able to do this work on his own.
- Definition: having life, not being dead
- Synonyms: breathing, existing
- Example: You were still alive but the doctors had lost all hope.
- Definition: very pleasant or enjoyable
- Synonyms: awesome, great
- Example: Sandra Bullock is an amazing person to talk to.
- Definition: pleasant to look at
- Synonyms: beautiful, charming
- Example: Cardi B is a very attractive singer.
- Definition: deserving respect or admiration
- Synonyms: respectful, commendable
- Example: Police praised that admirable person for saving the kid from the fire.
- Definition: (of someone or something) very impressive
- Synonyms: great, amazing
- Example: She was looking awesome in her bridal dress.
- Definition: not present at an occasion
- Synonyms: gone, missing
- Example: They remembered their absent friends at the trip.
- Definition: not surrounded by anyone
- Synonyms: lonely, solitary
- Example: Michael was alone in the class.
- Definition: characterized by strong feelings
- Synonyms: passionate, fervent
- Example: Malcom had always been an ardent lover.
- Definition: showing a difficult skillset of body movements
- Synonyms: agile, skillful
- Example: The whole crowd was mesmerized by his acrobatic dance skills.
Adjectives That Start with A – Full List (530+ Words)
Here is an elaborate list of adjectives that start with A that you may utilize in your written or spoken discourses to express your point of view clearly. If you have a question regarding any adjective, feel free to drop a comment at the end of this article.
Now that you have got plethora of adjectives that start with A, you can use them in any situation you want. You may need to praise someone. You may feel agitated by someone’s behavior and you want them to know how troubled you are with their behavior.
You can use these adjectives that start with A under such circumstances and many more. And hopefully you would have noticed that we have categorized these adjectives starting with A into different categories so that you may directly go to the category that you find suitable for yourself.
These descriptive words that start with A can be used to describe both good and bad aspects of people, things, phenomenon, etc. So it is up to you to use them as you want. Best of luck and have fun.